Saturday, July 23, 2011

DON’T BLACKMAIL GOD!

- Elder Porphyrios (+1991)

We shouldn’t blackmail God with our prayers. We shouldn’t ask God to release us from something, from an illness, for example, or to solve our problems, but we should ask for strength and support from Him to bear what we have to bear. Just as He knocks discreetly at the door of our soul, so we should ask discreetly for what we desire, and if the Lord does not respond, we should cease to ask. When God does not give us something that we ask for insistently, then He has His reasons. God, too, has His “secrets.” Since we believe in His good providence, since we believe that He knows everything about our lives, and that He always desires what is good, why should we not trust Him?

Let us pray naturally and gently, without forcing ourself and without passion. We know that past, present and future are all known, “open and laid bare” before God. As St. Paul says, “Before Him no creature is hidden, but all are open and laid bare to His eyes.” We should not insist; such persistence does harm instead of good. We shouldn’t continue relentlessly in order to acquire what we want; rather, we should leave things to the will of God. Because the more we pursue something, the more it runs away from us. So what is required is patience, faith and composure. And if we forget it, the Lord never forgets; and if it is for our good, He will give us what we need, when we need it.

On Forgiveness

A brother who was insulted by another brother came to Abba Sisoes, and said to him: “I was hurt by my brother, and I want to avenge myself”.

Abba Sisoes tried to console him and said: “Don’t do that, my child. Rather leave vengeance to God”. But he said: “I will not quit until I avenge myself”.

Then Abba said: “Let us pray, brother; and standing up, he said: “Our Father... forgive us our trespasses as we forgive NOT those who trespass against us...”

Hearing these words, the brother fell at the feet of the Abba and said: “I am not going to fight with my brother any more. Forgive me, Abba.”

No comments:

Post a Comment